The original national school, which was sited next to Meelick church, opened its doors in 1874.  Two separate schools, one for the boys and one for the girls, existed in the building.  Four teachers taught there, a Principal and assistant in each one.  A residence for the Principal Teacher was built in the school site in 1891.


Due to age and conditions in the school, it was finally vacated and a new school (the present one) was built and opened in May 1959.  it comprised of four classrooms, toilets, cloakrooms and storage rooms.  A hall and a kitchen were added later.  An increase in housing population saw the addition of two prefabs in 1987 and this growth continued.  A uniform and crest were designed for the school in 1986 and efforts are continually being made to make it a school to be proud of.


In Sept 2014 a new extension of three classrooms, an office and assembly area were opened by the Dept. of Education and Skills. 


Easter 2017 saw the opening of a further three new rooms, 1 mainstream classroom, learning support room and secretary office with associated facilities. 


These latest additions bring a fresh modern look to our school, upgraded facilities and spacious new yard areas.